3 Simple Steps To Get Your Garden Ready To Go Outside and Play
Finally! Just when you thought it would never end, it did...
Dubai summer is over, kids are back in school and temperatures & humidity are slowly (very slowly yes, but surely!) dropping.
Soon stepping into your garden won't mean instantly breaking out in sweat, so now is the time to get your garden ready.
Surveying your beautiful teak furniture buried in dust and beds of scorched plants, we know it can be a daunting task. So we put together a little cheat sheet to get you started.
It's as easy as 1 - 2 -3!
1. Encourage new growth
- Start by removing any dead plants, leaves and depleted soil.
- Trim back that bougainvillea and desert rose and plan a trip to the Dubai Plant Souk.
Yes, it's a little drive out, but well worth it. This lush green oasis is a hidden gem; take your kids on an adventure and explore the jungles together.
- Gear up your kids with garden gloves & tools and get them involved. We love the Gruffalo kids collection from MyGreenChapter, they currently have a great Back To School offer on with 25% off selected Kids Gardening items. Daiso also stocks very affordable kiddy-sized spades and rakes.
- You can also plant your own seeds indoors, a great project for kids to see them germinate, grow roots and leaves and finally turn into tomatoes, peppers and aubergines. Big added bonus - your fussy eater will have an interest in eating their own (green) produce!
2. Breathe new life into your furniture
- Remove covers, dust off your furniture and check your umbrella for tears.
- Move seating areas around for a new fresh look.
Still looking sad and getting the urge to go shopping? No need - there is nothing a little teak oil can't fix.
- Set a couple of hours aside this weekend for a quick family DIY project:
- Pop into your nearest hardware store to get sandpaper, teak oil and a brush
- Give the wood a light sanding and brush on a layer of oil
- After the oil has dried, lightly sand the furniture again and finish with a second layer of oil
If you take a little care of your wooden furniture, by oiling it twice a year, it will last years, even in our harsh sunny and humid climate.
3. Throw a garden party
Treat your outdoor area as an extension of your living room; a place to enjoy a quiet coffee, for outdoor dining or to get outside and play.
- Install outdoor speakers, prepare some bites and drinks, light some candles, invite friends & family and enjoy!
- For inspiration on affordable outdoor kids activities, check our Tools:
- 15 Heat Hacks & Water Games
- PRINTABLE CHECKLIST: 8 old-school Garden Games
Wishing you a season full of outdoor entertaining!
Co-Founder / Mama
Karin Louzado is a happy sleep-deprived expat mum of 2. She has lived in the desert for over a decade, travelled to 45+ countries and built a holiday home in Africa with her husband (and is still married). Karin now dedicates her time helping parents raise happy, free range kids. She loves liquorice, is addicted to stationary and tries her hand at pottery. You can find her on Medium.